Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Fork in the Road

There are many times in life when we are faced with a fork in the road. I'm 35-years-old and have come to many of these.

Some are small: Should we go to Burger King or McDonald? Should I get that shirt in red or blue?

Some are big: Should I rent or buy a house? Should I stay married or get divorced?

I've never been good with making decisions. Whether they are big or small, I tend to let someone else make the decision for me. Usually it works.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case now. Now I'm not facing a normal fork in the road. It isn't pick this or that. I feel like I've been dropped in a desert with no road or even path to choose from. It's wide open, and I have no idea which way to go.

I've been unemployed for a while now. I'm used to having my days mapped out, but everything is up in the air. I don't even know if I want to work in the same profession anymore. There are so many options to choose from, and no one is here to tell me which one to take. All I know is I have to figure something out soon.

I have been searching the help wanted ads, but nothing sounds like the ideal job. I've contemplated starting my own business, but that isn't something I can afford to do right now. I feel like a kid who doesn't know the answer to "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I honestly don't know. I like working with numbers, but I can't find a job opening that is worth applying for. I've thought about starting my own business, but I can't afford to sit around and wait for it to take off. I love to write, but can I really make a living doing that?

I've dreamed about being able to leave my job and do whatever I want, but now that I've lost my job I don't know what to do. I just keep waiting for a path to appear...hopefully soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment